Thomas Bangalter HelmetThis is a replica design of one of two DJs from the nostalgic group ‘Daft Punk’,the Thomas Bangalter Helmet. The aim was to considerably upskill my self to compliment my workplace. Photography credits go Tapani Heikkinen – A good friend and fellow 3D modeller with a flare for photography. For now you can see his work at Neupher.cghub.com
I decided i needed a project in my spare time that killed two birds with one stone. What could i make that i would enjoy, but also upskill myself in a number of areas at my workplace, Human Dynamo Workshop. I appreciate all the freedom, trust and time that Rob Uivel and Sue Dorrington let me put into this project. It has Enhanced my career immensly. Everybody wins.
I would also like to thank Harrison Krix aka ‘Volpin‘, for his complete inspiration and enthusiasm for his own work – it inspired me to do my own version as a starting point to figure out what i do and dont like. So thank you Volpin,much appreciated. His work is excellent, and provides an intense benchmark to aspire to. Particularly the high level of quality and output rate.
You can see a step by step documentation of this build hereAreas Enhanced:
- Up-skilling myself dealing with compound curves, effectively.
- Arduino – working and programming LED matrix with custom messages – Processing.
- Completing a project from start to finish alone was a great ability in itself – especially as it was all within my own spare time.
- Preparation for mould design, and amazing hot tips from Rob Uivel, employer and HEAVILY experienced in prop design. One of the best in the industry i could ever be learning from.
- Painting with Dulon paints, large learnign curve.
- Translating a 2D drawing into a successful 3D design.
- Overcoming frustrating challenges.
- Creating fibreglass jackets that are reusable.